I want to invite you to an interfaith event, “Fighting Poverty with Faith” event next Thursday, April 25 from 7:30 to 9:30. UULMNJ is a co-sponsor and I will be participating in the event. Complete information is below and in the attached flyer. This is an important opportunity for interfaith communities to come together to address poverty. The intention is to create coalitions to work together in their communities. I hope you will join us.
FIGHTING POVERTY WITH Faith
Through Affordable Housing for All”
A CALL TO ACTION
• For millions of Americans, safe and decent housing is unaffordable and unavailable.
• The faith community cannot stand idly by as too many of our neighbors are forced to make impossible choices among necessities such as food, rent, and medicine.
• We recognize the importance of decent shelter as a core necessity to overcoming poverty and will educate our communities about this issue and work to increase the supply of and expand access to housing for low income families and individuals.
• We can make a difference by speaking out collectively as representatives of New Jersey’s Multifaith Community
• We take up the call of our religious traditions to bring focus and attention to the need for housing that is affordable in our communities.
Thursday, April 25, 2013|7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Bergen County Administration Building
1 Bergen County Plaza, Freeholder Public Hearing Room 520
NJ State Association of Jewish Federations
NJ Catholic Conference
Lutheran Office of Governmental Ministry NJ
Northern New Jersey Co-Sponsors
Alive in Christ Lutheran Church American Baptist Churches of New Jersey Arya Samaj of New Jersey, Hindu Community Capital District of the Greater New Jersey Conference of the United Methodist Church Catholic Charities Diocese of Metuchen Catholic Charities Diocese of Paterson Catholic Charities Diocese of Trenton Communication Workers of America, AFL-CIO Local 1081 County of Bergen Housing, Health and Human Services Center Elijah’s Promise Fair Share Housing Center Family Promise of Bergen County General Baptist Convention of the State of New Jersey Hindu American Seva Communities Housing and Community Development Network of NJ Housing Authority of Bergen County Interfaith Brotherhood/Sisterhood Committee of Bergen County Islamic Society of Basking Ridge Jewish Family Service of MetroWest Jewish Community Relations Council of Jewish Federation of Northern NJ Jewish Renaissance Foundation The Justice Board of the Episcopal Diocese of Newark Lutheran Social Ministries, NJ Monarch Housing Associates NJ Anti-Hunger Coalition NJ Anti-Poverty Network NJ Association of Jewish Family Service Agencies NJ Council of Churches NJ Foundation for Aging NJ SHARES Peace Islands Institute Union for Reform Judaism – Reform Jewish Voice of NJ Unitarian Universalist Legislative Ministry of NJ
United Way of Bergen County United Way of Northern NJ
Rev. Craig Hirshberg, Exec. Director
Unitarian Universalist Legislative Ministry of NJ
“Love is the virtue of the heart; Sincerity the virtue of the mind; Courage the virtue of the spirit; decision the virtue of the will”
The Organic Commandment, Taliesin 1940