I am forwarding this from Nicola Bocour, from CeaseFire. This is an update on gun legislation status. It is time to contact the Governor, asking him to sign all the gun legislation on his desk. Now is the time to act. Write letters, petitions and/or call his office.
Yesterday the NJ Assembly passed three gun bills which will now go to the Governor’s desk and join several other bills currently awaiting action.
A couple of the bills have not yet made it to the Governor’s desk, but are expected to. The gun trafficking bill must receive final passage by the NJ Senate and the bill to revise certain firearms statutes (A.4182/S.2723) is currently being amended and should be moving again soon.
We need to make sure that Governor Christie understands how NJ residents feel about gun violence prevention laws! The NRA advocates are constantly bombarding his office and twitter account with messages to veto all gun bills. Let’s make sure he is hearing from us too!
Make phone calls, write a letter-to-the-editor, post on social media (for twitter, please use @GovChristie and #NJGunSafety).
Some key provisions of these bills to keep in mind are:
– Up-to-date background checks conducted by a federally licensed dealer on private sales
– Firearms safety training requirement (important esp. when you look at all of the accidental child shooting occurring across the country and even here in NJ).
– Ban on .50 caliber sniper rifles (capable of destroying a passenger airplane sitting on the runway from over a mile away).
– Prohibiting those on the Terror Watch List from obtaining an FID or PPH.
– Increasing penalties for gun trafficking.
– Increasing reporting of mental health records and crime data to national databases
Please don’t hesitate to contact me personally if you have any questions or concerns.
Rev. Craig Hirshberg, Exec. Director
UULMNJ Public Policy Network
4 Waldron Ave.
Summit, NJ 07901
“Love is the virtue of the heart; Sincerity the virtue of the mind; Courage the virtue of the spirit; decision the virtue of the will”
The Organic Commandment, Taliesin 1940